The victory was especially sweet (or fiery) for Valley Catholic High School parent Damon Gentry. He had been runner-up in 2016 and earned third-place honors in 2015. He said he discovered the Hatch Chile while on vacation in New Mexico over the summer and incorporated it into the chili that finally earned him the championship.
Second place honors went to Valley Catholic Middle School sixth-graders Sejal Pamuljula and Malaika Gomes for “Chilicious.” The students say they researched recipes then modified them with their own twists for a lamb-based masterpiece.
A first-time chili competitor also made it to the podium. Valley Catholic High School parent Will Eberhart’s fantastic entry – “2 the Neck Chili” – took second-place honors.
Third-place honors went to Valley Catholic Middle School sixth-graders Sejal Pamuljula and Malaika Gomes for “Chilicious.” The students say they researched recipes then modified them with their own twists for a lamb-based masterpiece.
VCHS seniors Rosie Parker, Ania Ty, and Theresa Shew were repeat winners for the best named chili. “Sean Spicier” was their winning entry. It echoed the political focus of their 2016 winner: “Chillary Clinton: Making Chili Great Again!”
Bonus features: Photo album | Video
In all, 19 delicious entries dazzled the judges and the guests. We send a Blue Crew cheer of thanks to everyone who took part.
- Chlorophyll and lactose-topped starch and cellulose with exothermic accents of myosin, actin, and capsaicin, all comprising the specific heat of……Chili!
- Holy Nun Sauce
- The Holy Chipotle
- Country Chili Comfort
- 2 the Neck Chill-E
- It’s From A Can
- Sean Spicier
- A Dog’s Best Friend
- Down the Hatch Chile!
- Fire of London
- Toxic Waste
- The Super Hot Fire Chili.
- The Berge Brothers Present: Chili A-La-Gator
- The Attackin Latin Chili
- Global Warming
- Valley Venison
- Mac Attack
- Chil-ing like a Valiant
Special thanks to our judges:
- Kalani Efstathiou – Valley Catholic alum, Valley Catholic Middle School teacher and Valley Catholic High School volleyball assistant coach
- Addie French – Five-time Chili Cook-off competitor (and 10-year-old daughter of Chili Cook-off Coordinator Dale French)
- Ben Harley – new Valley Catholic Middle School teacher and Valley Catholic High School varsity baseball coach
- Sean Lotmann – SSMO Foundation Database manager and the newest member of the SSMO Foundation team
- Rex Metcalfe – Tillamook High School Athletic Director